Monday, September 9, 2013

Curriculum Barriers Tutorial

Today I would like to add on to my previous post. Earlier, we talked about the UDL website. This is a link through found the www.cast.org website. ** http://www.cast.org/teachingeverystudent/tools/curriculumbarriers.cfm**

This tutorial really put things into perspective for me. It helps you analyze hidden barriers in the curriculum when using the UDL framework. I love how it walks you through step by step.

There are four parts to the tool. The first three are shown below. The forth is to save your work on the website.
                                                                                                        ("Curriculum barriers template," 2002)
Here is a link to a sample tool. - http://www.cast.org/teachingeverystudent/tools/curriculumbarrierstemplate.cfm

I chose Charlie because he is a lot like the first grader that I currently nanny for (J). J is a lot like Charlie. He focuses on things that he absolutely loves and focuses when he plays the Wii (a little too much), just like Charlie. I also chose the sixth grade science area. It stated that there was computer use with the curriculum. I think that Charlie would benefit from this technology use but a barrier would be that he would focus too much on the computer and you wouldn't be able to dislodge him from it. This is a known problem with him and the Nintendo.

This helped me understand how to truly break down a students disability for the certain lesson. I had never heard of barriers before I visited this website. It helped me understand why my students could benefit from using one material but not another. I really had to put thought into each students potential barriers while creating the lesson. Get to know your students as individuals! Get to know their likes and dislikes. It will help all of you succeed.

Thanks for listening!

-Bridgette


Curriculum barriers template. (2002). Retrieved from http://www.cast.org/teachingeverystudent/tools/curriculumbarrierstemplate.cfm

No comments:

Post a Comment