Saturday, October 19, 2013

Naturally Speaking Voice Recognition Software

This device is better known as Dragon Software.

  • This software is used along with a computer. It is a lot like word prediction software in the sense that it types what you say into it. You can type a document, email, search the web with it, control items in your home. 
  • It is used for anyone who can not or wish to not use their hands to type or control their computer. This can also help students that are visually impaired and students with dyslexia. 
  • Times are changing. I have seen a lot of students using their phones to research things in the classroom. Dragon has an app that allows the student to type things into his/her phone by saying commands. 
  • For students that have a hard time following quick enough with note taking, Dragon created an app that can be used with Windows 7/8 pc or tablet (only $20 per download). The teacher would speak into the microphone and the words go directly to the pc/tablet. 


Tutorial Dragon Naturally Speaking 12

  • This device is run with a computer or tablet.
    •  You need a microphone to operate it. You can use the one built in to your computer or buy a headset that includes one. 
  • At first it gives you a few sayings that you have to repeat into the microphone. This is supposed to help the program recognize the way that you talk. 
  • You can edit your document, select text, move the insertion point and format by speaking also. 
  • It seems like it is a lot to handle at first for students but I believe that in the long run, the hard work will be worth it.

1 comment:

  1. I know we spoke about this briefly in class. I'm interested in using it for myself. I can imagine typing a paper or a comment (like this right now) while dictating an email to send to a friend or colleague. However, I wonder if the sound of my typing would interfere with Dragon's ability to record my voice. Only one way to find out I guess.

    ReplyDelete